Author Topic: Email notification v/s email text  (Read 10925 times)

Offline Leonie Tooth

Email notification v/s email text
« on: 02/06/2007, 04:23:12 PM »
Hi All

I'm not sure that recieving an email notification and a web link is an "improvement" on the previous ability to have the email itself forwarded to one's inbox. It's amazing how quickly one can scan and digest the info in a half pane message, determine it's relevance and file or delete it. Having to click in, connect (dependant on speeds/traffic at each end) and then navigate the forum seems likely to be less user friendly to me.

Interested in what others think.

Cheers

Leonie

Offline James Oliver

Re: Email notification v/s email text
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2007, 10:08:19 PM »
I am yet to receive any emails, since I have only just configured my account, however, I would agree with Leonie that I would prefer to receive the email message rather than just an email notification.

Regards
James.

Offline James Holcombe

« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2007, 04:08:00 AM »
Leonie/James

The advantages of a Forum vs Email, are:
With a forum you focus immediately onto a topic whether it is share trading, fishing, motoring, professional, etc.
Once logged into a forum, you can then use the "show unread posts since last visit" which I am using now to see the 2 new posts.
With a forum you have the ability to search historical posts.

I now find, I receive so many emails from so many different sources, the sharefinder post are swamped by the many others.

I am also a member of a number of different web forums so find this an improvement

Regards

Jim

Offline John Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: 25/06/2007, 12:25:18 AM »
After trying it for a period I now agree 100%.

The trouble is it does not in fact notify you of posts to the board only seems to notify if have logged on to the new topic within the board.

My view worse than useless.

I just don't have the time to go throught the hassles of the new process.

Important emails are now it seems only being sent to the board rather than directly to users very hit and miss.  More miss than hit I would suspect.

The Osprey data base up date was a case in point, fortunately I new it was to be released so was checking the web site otherwise would still likely be in the dark.

Also seems to lack a spell checker, something I need if I am to reply to posts.

John

Offline Mark Linton

• IT and Product Guru
    • Share Wealth Systems
« Reply #4 on: 06/07/2007, 03:29:04 PM »

Also seems to lack a spell checker, something I need if I am to reply to posts.

You'll be pleased to know that we have added a spell check just for you  ;)

Offline David_S

« Reply #5 on: 07/07/2007, 02:08:24 AM »
John and Others,
About 3 seconds before I noticed the new "Spell Check" button I had just installed a Dictionary Add-on for Mozilla Firefox  :). It works as you type and operates just like Microsoft word with suggestions etc. Compatible with any web page.

You can find it at: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3
(Scroll down to find the English-Australian dictionary)

In general, I've found the new forum arrangement very good. We are all creatures of habit and it took me some getting used to. Yes, I do miss the instant email notification but I've changed my daily habits to include checking the forum. (Something to do while downloading the daily data). If the topic interests me I'll flag it; Simple! The ability to add files, pictures and links has already proven it's worth.

The concern over critical updates or patches is very relevant. I noticed in the profile area there is a notification setting:
Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email.
I have this ticked but never received the important postings from ShareFinder. Maybe it has a different purpose than my understanding?

The top of the profile page also says:
SMF allows you to be notified of replies to posts, newly posted topics, and forum announcements. You can change those settings here, or oversee the topics and boards you are currently receiving notifications for.
However, I can't find anywhere to request notification of new postings etc.

Mark, could you explain? If I've misunderstood what can you do make us more aware?

Regards,
David

PS: Thanks for the built in Spell Checker, ask and ye shall receive!
« Last Edit: 07/07/2007, 02:17:43 AM by David Sayer »

Offline Mark Linton

• IT and Product Guru
    • Share Wealth Systems
« Reply #6 on: 07/07/2007, 10:29:11 AM »
I have this ticked but never received the important postings from ShareFinder. Maybe it has a different purpose than my understanding?
If this option is ticked it doesn't mean you will receive every posting by ShareFinder but only postings that we class as an announcement or important.

However, I can't find anywhere to request notification of new postings etc.
You couldn't find this option as it's not available.  :o It is however a feature that we would like to implement and are currently looking at ways to do so.

PS: Thanks for the built in Spell Checker, ask and ye shall receive!
We do aim to please so if there are any other feature requests please post them and we'll see if they can be implemented  :)

Offline Christina Scott

« Reply #7 on: 13/09/2007, 05:45:48 PM »
Hi All

I tend to agree with Leonie, I certainly prefer receiving updates/info per email. Much more convenient for all the reasons given by Leonie.

:wave:

Offline John Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: 13/09/2007, 06:43:02 PM »
Hi

Thought I had better reply now times have changed and one is more used to the changes.

What I now find of value is the email notification of new topics at least that gives me some indication that there is maybe something to look at.  Then if I decide to look I do check to see what other emails I may have missed.

Unlike David I am often not around when my data downloads as I have my computer set up to check at midday Tuesday to Saturday (for US data) and 8.00pm Monday to Friday for Aus data all Eastern Australian Time.  So it checks and downloads regardless of whether I am at the computer or not.