Author Topic: Notifications on Forum via email  (Read 10578 times)

Offline Anton

Notifications on Forum via email
« on: 22/07/2009, 07:13:18 AM »

Mark ,
I have a question on the best way to utilize Forum notification facility.
I have noticed that a significant chunk of post relates to "pure" technical issues and is only relevant to some people ( personally think that such recent issues posted could be efficiently solved by phone or directly to SF).
Ideally I would prefer not to receive notification about specific technical problems with TM or MM but would rather read on Forum any instructions or troubleshooting advice.
However , profile  on Forum does not allow to choose to be notified for individual categories.
quote : "SMF allows you to be notified of replies to posts, newly posted topics, and forum announcements. ......   
  ticked box   :Receive a notification by email for each post.

Does any reasonable solution exist ?
thank you
Anton

Offline David_S

Re: Notifications on Forum via email
« Reply #1 on: 22/07/2009, 09:13:50 AM »
Hi Anton,
We do encourage customers to ring us directly for technical problems, rather than post on the forum. If they post on the forum, we try and contact them directly the next day and solve the issue rather than answer it "Twitter" like on the forum. Every computer and Windows installation is different so problems do occur.

We did look at having a "Technical forum" but it is not the best way to solve an issues fast, which we endeavour to do. If the problem is critical, everyone can ring our after hours support line.

You can select which Boards (SPA, Market Master etc,..) you want to receive items from. In you profile, turn off notifications for all. Then go to each board and select notify from the buttons in the top right corner. This will add that board to your list.  Thus you can stop Chit/Chat etc.

Forums can take up a lot of time if you let them. Some people like the constant interaction others don't, but either way the forum is a valuable learning tool. Another way to handle forums is to turn off all notifications and just visit the forum pages once a day. View the NEW posts and then walk away.

If any one has another suggestion, we'll definitely consider it.

Regards,
David

Offline Anton

« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2009, 04:21:29 PM »
Then go to each board and select notify from the buttons in the top right corner. This will add that board to your list.  Thus you can stop Chit/Chat etc.

Excellent response David. I am fully satisfied and agree with your comments , I was not aware of this option.  Definitely I will try to use them more often.
Thank you
Anton

Offline Mark Linton

• IT and Product Guru
    • Share Wealth Systems
« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2009, 07:32:09 PM »
Using the 'boards' option will only notify you of new topics in that board, not any of the replies (unless you post a reply :) )

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: 05/02/2010, 09:54:13 AM »
Mark, can you change the forum so that you opt in to receiving emails after you post than having to opt out?