Author Topic: Any Open rades?  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Peter Delgado

Any Open rades?
« on: 08/09/2015, 11:41:47 PM »
G'day SWS staff and fellow Traders  :wave:,

As a total novice to trading generally and ETFs in particular,  I have a hell of a lot to learn.  I subscribed about three months ago and paper traded.  Then when I was ready to trade live,  all the signals were RED.  Obviously the last few weeks have seen markets take huge losses,  but I'm just wondering if anybody has an open trade at the moment.  I certainly cant see any.

I'm trading under the "Relative Strength" strategy with a SMSF, so currently tracking EWG, EWW, EWZ, FXI, QQQ, MDY, SLYG, IBB and XLV.  That's probably more ETFs than other SWS traders,  but am I correct in assuming that most of you are out of the market at the moment?  I'm in no hurry, and happy to sit it out if that's the current recommendation.

Looking forward to all your opinions.

regards

Peter

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
Re: Any Open rades?
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2015, 01:23:45 PM »
Peter,

Correct. Most should be in cash for stocks and ETFs.

"Most" because those using SPA3ETF on the ASX with the local USA ETF's on their list (IVV, VTS, IJR, IJH) had entry signals recently on the back of the falling AUD.

Regards
Gary
« Last Edit: 28/09/2015, 06:07:38 PM by Gary Stone »
On the journey

Offline Phil P

« Reply #2 on: 25/09/2015, 05:25:45 PM »
Just checking my understanding.

Should EWW be an open trade in the Public Portfolio following an entry signal on the 16/09/2015

Regards

Phil

Offline Peter Delgado

« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2015, 06:01:32 PM »
I Sure Hope so Phil.

I've opened a position on EWW based on that signal.  Of the 9 that I'm tracking its the only one at the moment.  Nothing else is even close to giving a Buy signal.

I'm sure the SWS staff will confirm.

Offline Phil P

« Reply #4 on: 25/09/2015, 06:08:50 PM »
Hi Peter,

Thats what I thought too. Ive downloaded the latest public portfolio data but it isn't showing as an open trade. Unless Im doing something wrong.

Phil

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #5 on: 28/09/2015, 06:11:45 PM »
Phil,

It is an open trade and both Public Portfolios are in the EWW trade with real money.

However, I'm away from the office at the moment travelling and haven't yet updated the 'master' database on our office servers with the trade.

When I return at the end of the week I will update the SPA3 TradeMaster files to reflect the open trade.

Regards
Gary
On the journey

Offline Phil P

« Reply #6 on: 01/10/2015, 10:00:34 AM »
Thanks Gary.

Just making sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Regards

Phil

Offline Darren McKay

« Reply #7 on: 01/10/2015, 07:29:43 PM »
isnt xly an open trade too ?

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #8 on: 02/10/2015, 12:13:11 PM »
Darren,

Yes it is. I was referring to the ETFs on which the SPA3ETF Public Portfolios focus.

Looking at the full list, there are also 3 ASX ETFs that are open trades: IVV, VTS and IJH.

Regards
Gary
On the journey

Offline Peter Delgado

« Reply #9 on: 10/10/2015, 12:49:33 AM »
We got a few more buy triggers on the overnight US market.  We've had EWW open now for a week or two but now there are a few others.  The best one being MDY with a ROC of -6.2  against my current open trade of EWW (with a slightly inferior ROC  -8.6).   

My question is;  is it really worth spending some brokerage to go for  MDY,  or should we stick with EWW and keep riding it up for whatever it returns.  It doesn't appear to be showing signs of slowing at the moment.

SLYG will probably break through either tonight or early next week with a -3.1 so we'd only be changing over again when that happens.

Opinions???

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #10 on: 10/10/2015, 01:03:40 AM »
Peter,

You only have to make a decision after today's (Friday's) session in the USA.

The way that we did the research was absolutely mechanical and unambiguous without reservation or hesitation. After Friday's trading session in the USA, using the RS Strategy, we will ensure that we are (SWS Public Portfolio) in the open trade - of the 6 ETFs that we follow - with the highest 126 day ROC.

We have no idea what will happen next, we will merely execute the process as it was researched and that provided the consistent success that it did in research, relative to the overall market.

Regards
Gary
On the journey

Offline Darren McKay

« Reply #11 on: 10/10/2015, 12:42:39 PM »
hi gary , what was the method in choosing the six etfs out of the 34 that are scanned ?

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #12 on: 10/10/2015, 10:25:36 PM »
Darren,

Simply potential for growth. These are the more volatile ETFs with bigger average return's per trade which also attracts bigger average loss trades and potentially deeper drawdowns.

Regards
Gary
On the journey