Author Topic: ASX IVV v ASX VTS  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Tony O'Brien

• TonyOB
ASX IVV v ASX VTS
« on: 16/12/2015, 11:45:25 PM »
New to share wealth systems and looking at a single index etf stategy.

Tossing up between S&P 500 ETF & us total market shares index.  Beyond charts statistics for the trades on each ETF seem fairly similar. 

Only 25k capital.

Any ideas on which ETF members would trade pursuant to a single index etf strategy? 

If there are any members that use the single etf trading strategy, feel welcome to comment on their experience of it.  Looks fairly simple and a lot easier than the relative strength strategy. 

Finally, the members section of the forum is a great resource.  The interview with Gary and Mark Douglas, rest his soul, was fantastic. 

Tony :)

Offline PaulWA

Re: ASX IVV v ASX VTS
« Reply #1 on: 17/12/2015, 03:07:53 PM »
Hi Tony,

I prefer the U.S. ETFs I think your only looking at ASX so maybe my advice isn't much help but if you follow the RSI picks on the public portfolio you can't go wrong.
By far the two strongest seem to be IBB historically but it's just had a very big pull back & QQQ currently Gary has QQQ in the public portfolio section but as the relative strength drops off he will switch to another ETF.
If you haven't already updated the public portfolio I would suggest starting there the single RSI pick to date has been outperforming the equal weighted option by a fair margin.

If your only buying ASX ETFs then using the same logic just pick the one with the best RSI (relative strength) and keep switching to stay in the strongest one of the ones you have identified.
I think Gary is looking at setting up a ASX only ETF public portfolio which will make it easier to follow.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #2 on: 17/12/2015, 11:05:14 PM »
Tony,

We have started the SPA3ETF ASX Relative Strength Public Portfolio. It was announced at an eUGM. I will post a separate thread on this.

Regards
Gary
« Last Edit: 17/12/2015, 11:08:58 PM by Gary Stone »
On the journey

Offline Tony O'Brien

• TonyOB
« Reply #3 on: 18/12/2015, 12:25:25 AM »
Thanks Gary and Paul. Much appreciated.  Probably stick to ASX ETF strategy at this stage. 

Can anyone briefly explain the 3 day swing rule for this RS strategy? 

The manual says:-

"current Low must be greater than the previous Swing trough Low"

I presume the swing chart we set up in Beyond Charts helps us apply this test?

Does this mean closing price is greater than the lowest closing price for the past 3 days?  Do you check ASX close prices via commsec or just look at the swing chart?

Tony (newbie)
« Last Edit: 18/12/2015, 12:27:24 AM by Tony O'Brien »

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #4 on: 18/12/2015, 07:21:18 AM »
Tony,

Not the last 3 days the last 3 day Swing trough.

There is an example chart in the SPA3ETF Getting Started Manual on pages 22 & 23.

The manual is accessed via the HELP menu in Beyond Charts.

This doesn't apply to the Single ETF Strategy as you will always enter, and exit, when SPA3ETF signals occur, not in-between as occurs with the Relative Strength strategy when swapping occurs based on RS.

Regards
Gary
« Last Edit: 18/12/2015, 08:11:38 AM by Gary Stone »
On the journey