Author Topic: ASX ETF RSI public portfolio qns  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Tony O'Brien

• TonyOB
ASX ETF RSI public portfolio qns
« on: 21/12/2015, 12:18:25 AM »
Hi SWS,

Can I query, when the SWS team does the ASX ETF RSI strategy for the public portfolio (newly created, first trade Nov 2015):-

1. Does SWS buy on market or limit order?

2. Does SWS buy at a certain time of the day?  (ie I have read that purchasing ETF right at open or close can be problematic due to liquidity).

3. When will the ASX ETF RSI portfolio be importable into trademaster for users to review / follow? (at present, only the US ETF portfolio available)

Tony

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
Re: ASX ETF RSI public portfolio qns
« Reply #1 on: 21/12/2015, 12:12:14 PM »
Tony,

On the ASX I will mainly use limit orders due to the wider spreads that can exist with ETFs on the ASX.

I try to get the order on at around 11am.

We have a little development to do in TradeMaster to add the SPA3ETF ASX Public Portfolio to the list. This is in the next development project which should be released during February.

Regards
Gary
On the journey

Offline Peter

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2016, 01:46:16 PM »
Hi Members

Jut a check that I am interpreting the charts correctly.

For today all 4 ETF's - IJH, SLF, SFY, STW are open.

SLF has the highest RSI hence all mounds to be allocated to SLF

Thanks in advance! 

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #3 on: 06/01/2016, 02:22:42 PM »
Peter,

This is correct. The ASX RS Public Portfolio is now in SLF.

Regards
Gary
On the journey

Offline Vernon Kronenberg

« Reply #4 on: 29/01/2016, 03:46:29 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is SLF?

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #5 on: 29/01/2016, 11:13:15 PM »
Vernon,

It's the REIT ETF on the ASX.

Regards
Gary
On the journey

Offline David Roberts

ETFs with entry signals?
« Reply #6 on: 24/02/2016, 11:42:19 PM »
I'm just wondering if I am reading my scan of ETFs correctly.  I seem to get EWH, EWW, EWZ, GLD, SLF, XLI, XLP, XLU, XLY, IVV, VTS, IJH and IJR as having entry signals.  The ranking based on ROC is SLF, XLP, GLD, XLU, IVV and XLI as the only ones with +ve ROC - SLF being the highest and XLI being the lowest.  The remainder have entry signals but -ve ROC.

Have I understood the scan correctly or indeed have I done the scan correctly.

david  :confused:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 25/02/2016, 03:27:36 PM »
Hi David,
You are correct that these are the ETFs with current entry signals on them.
A couple of the ETFs have taken off in terms of RS over the past few days so the order of ETFs SLF being the most and XLI being least may have changed a little since your post.  This is only assessed at the end of the week and sold/bought accordingly but looking today we may see a swap come the end of the week, depending what happens.
If there were no positive number ETFs we could still take the best of the negative so they shouldn't be excluded as long as they are trading above their last lowest trough and not in a continuous downtrend.
Hope that helps but please give us a call if uncertain.  Ity looks like you are doing it all correctly though. :thumb:

Offline David Roberts

Re: ASX ETF ROC value
« Reply #8 on: 27/02/2016, 11:16:50 AM »
one thing that would be useful in the table produced after a scan of SWS SPA3ETF would be for the results to include the ROC value so you can immediately see which one of the new open positions has the highest ROC.  At one point only SLF was an open trade but now there are other open trades which have higher ROC values, do you exit SLF into one of the others or do you add the best ROC new entry ETF to your existing SLF holding?  My scan this morning came up with IJR, SLYG and XLB with SLYG having a marginally higher ROC than IJR but both have higher ROC than SLF now has.

Dave :confused:

Offline Peter

« Reply #9 on: 27/02/2016, 01:12:35 PM »
Hi David

Maybe Gary can clarify, but for the ASX RIS portfolio you would normally only be comparing against the 4 or 5 ASX ETF's rather than the USA ETF's for switching unless you are trading both ASX and US listed ETF's.

Offline Gary Stone

• Administrator
  • "Anything can happen."
« Reply #10 on: 27/02/2016, 04:44:39 PM »
Correct Peter. SLF still has the highest Relative Strength of the ASX ETFs that we are using in the SPA3ETF ASX Public Portfolio. Only IJH is also open trade other than SLF but it has a lower ROC.

Regards
Gary
On the journey

Offline David Roberts

« Reply #11 on: 27/02/2016, 09:38:30 PM »
not sure I follow the "open" logic, as of last night on the ASX my scan shows IVV, IJH, IJR, VTS and SLF all show the green open icon and then it is a matter of choosing the one with the highest ROC which has been SLF since late 2014 (on a weekly basis).  If new ones are open do you add to your position?  Do you treat the ASX ETFs and US ETFs differently in terms of their relative ROCs?  Are we looking at the charts on a daily or weekly basis to get the entry signals?

On the US markets there are many more - DBC, DIA, EWH, EWZ, EWW, GLD, IJH, IJR, SLYG, XLB, XLI, XLP, XLU, XLY - I presume you again choose the one with the highest ROC on the US market.

Is my scan incorrect or am i missing something?

Dave

Offline Shane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 29/02/2016, 03:32:37 PM »
It sounds like your scan is correct for scanning the entire watchlist of ETFs on offer.  However, with SPA3ETF, we usually limit the amount of ETFs that we consider, focusing on a few rather than the entire suite like we do with shares.  This is talked about in the ETF manual.

On the US, our public portfolio only follows 6.  EWW, EWZ, FXI, MDY, QQQ and IBB.  The other 25 US ETFs are not followed at all with this portfolio even though they may have open positions (green buy arrows).

With our ASX ETF public portfolio, we only follow 4 of the 8.  The 4 we track with this portfolio are IJH, STW, SFY and SLF.  You are correct that others currently have open positions and could be considered, but for our particular public portfolio we don't consider them.  We focus on the 4 only.

Normally one would run a US and ASX ETF Portfolio separately as the charts show different currencies and therefore are not really comparing apples with apples when analysing Relative Strength.

Please feel free to call the office if you'd like me to show you through specifics.