Author Topic: TM research functionality  (Read 1827 times)

Offline ivan

TM research functionality
« on: 15/10/2016, 04:05:39 PM »
Hi All,

just wondering if the "research "functionality in TM is still functional ?  Its been quite a long time since I played around with it and if I recall there were a few hoops to jump through using excel before it was in the right format for importing into TM .

At present , if I perform a scan with entries and exits  and export that as a CSV then TM will import it successfully , however the end result isn't usable

eg trades are held open , never closed out 

Can't find any documentation for the feature

regards
Ivan

Offline Anna and Max R

Re: TM research functionality
« Reply #1 on: 15/10/2016, 05:45:06 PM »
Hi Ivan,
I had the same experience about a week ago and was told that the Research functionality was not working and was not scheduled to be fixed. Apparently they're working on a replacement for TM so I guess they don't want to put effort into the old product. This has been "broken" for some time and I certainly would prefer the functionality was fixed in the shorter term - I do use it or at least I did.
Cheers Max

Offline ivan

« Reply #2 on: 15/10/2016, 06:21:02 PM »
thanks for the reply Max

yes that's what I was assuming as well , I think it broke some time back , which is a pity as I would really like to be able to back test some parameter changes

regards
Ivan

Offline David_S

« Reply #3 on: 17/10/2016, 09:41:42 AM »
Hi Ivan, Max and others,
The research component of TradeMaster has been non-operational for many years. Specifically, when the new money management was implemented in early 2012, the background calculations changed significantly and the effort involved in fixing the back testing component was deemed to high. There were more important and wider based customer features that needed our attention. In deed, it should have been officially disabled at the time.

The research capability was very useful in the early years. It came from an internal need to test and retest, and as one of the biggest drivers of it's improvement I made it work overtime. It helped mold our products by getting us hard evidence. But every tool has it's day. Eventually, it was superseded internally by much more powerful tools. With this came the recognition that it was not our core business and as such resources should be allocated elsewhere.

The new portfolio manager is being designed to have some import capability, from other portfolio applications, but it is not expected to have research capability (Converting multiple trades into a Position sequence); this is an additional process.

Regards,
David